About the no-scalpel vasectomy.
The No-Needle injector or ‘hypospray’ delivers a fine jet of Marcaine freezing right through the scrotal skin into the vas and surrounding tissues. The sensation is like a mild snap of an elastic band against the skin. It requires only 1/10th the volume of anesthetic compared with the old needle method so there is less tissue distension and less risk of bleeding. Also, it is a proven medical fact that men prefer to have needles kept as far away from their scrotums as possible!
The “No-Scalpel” part refers to the technique of getting to the vas at the front of the scrotum using two small surgical instruments developed in China in 1974. There are no knives, scalpels, lasers or other hi-tech gizmos involved. It is “minimally invasive” so there is less trauma to the tissues. The single tiny hole created in the skin is 2 to 3 mm long and serves for access to both right and left vas tubes.
The left vas is exposed by gently pulling a small loop of it out the front of the scrotum. It is then blocked (occluded is the hi-tech term). The vas is cut leaving two ends. Both ends are cauterized. Then the top (abdominal) end is sewn with dissolving stitch material into a layer of tissue that permanently separates it from the other end. Thus the two ends can no longer ‘communicate’. This is called fascial interposition. The ends are placed back into the scrotum, and then the same thing is done for the right vas.
Here’s how the no-scalpel procedure works:
Your no-scalpel vasectomy takes no longer that 10 minutes and your entire appointment is only 30 minutes long.
- You lie down on your back.
- The scrotum is cleansed with a colorless antiseptic solution (no messy iodine!) Local anesthetic is administered via ‘hypospray’ injector (no needle!) It freezes the skin and each vas. All you feel is a quick “flick” against the skin.
- Once the freezing takes effect the first vas is isolated and grasped with a small ring clamp, holding it to the skin.
- A tiny puncture is made over the left vas with a fine tipped surgical instrument, then stretched open about 2-3 mm. The vas is grasped and a small segment is gently pulled through the skin opening.
- The vas is cut and blocked, then returned to the scrotum. Through the same opening the right vas is lifted out and treated exactly the same.
- You are fitted with a gauze filled soft cupped athletic support and procedure is over.
TIME ELAPSED: 10 minutes
TOTAL APPOINTMENT TIME: 30 minutes
Call us today – 604-539-1915 – to book your appointment.
You may also complete this form and we’ll get in touch with you.